Can be performed in spring or fall using a walk behind machine that is comprised of several rows of hollow tines. These tines are plunged into the ground to a depth of approximately 3”. Dime roll sized cores of soil are pulled out onto the lawns surface. These cores will break down and disappear naturally over the course of a week or two.
Benefits of Core Aeration:
- Reduces soil compaction often caused by lawn rollers, construction equipment, or heavy foot traffic.
- Improves flow of air, water, and nutrients to roots. This will increase effectiveness of fertilizers and watering’s.
- Promotes a deeper root system making for a healthier more drought tolerant lawn.
- Creates an excellent seed bed and is a great opportunity for over-seeding.
- Helps aid in the breakdown of thatch.